These No-Guilt Double Chocolate Cookies are a healthy upgrade from traditional sugar and flour-based varieties. Plus, they’re dairy-, gluten-, and egg-free, making them safe for those with common food intolerances. If you use dairy-free chocolate chips, this recipe is also vegan-friendly.
Prepared with flaxseeds, arrowroot, and almond butter, here’s a sweet treat you won’t feel guilty about. So go on—bake some cookies and eat them, too!
No-Guilt Almond Butter Double Chocolate Cookies
Total: 00:18 Prep: 00:10 Cook: 00:08
½ tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1 tablespoon water
½ cup almond butter (creamy, organic if possible, nothing added)
2 tablespoons arrowroot
3 tablespoons raw agave
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the flaxseeds in a small bowl, and stir in the water. Let mixture sit until it forms an egg-like consistency, about 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Place the almond butter in a large bowl, and add the arrowroot, agave, baking soda, vanilla, and flaxseed mixture. Mix until well combined.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips to evenly distribute throughout the batter.
5. Roll the dough to form individual balls. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet and flatten them just a bit, as they don’t spread much.
6. Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will need to cool for at least 15 minutes before handling, but they taste best after they’ve sat for about 30 minutes. They will firm up as they cool.
- Vegan Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie. Substitute dairy-free chocolate chips for the traditional chocolate chips.
- Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Chop an 85 percent dark chocolate bar and use in place of chocolate chips. (Dark chocolate is even healthier!)
- Almond Butter White Chocolate Chip Cookies. Substitute white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips.
The consistency of almond butter can vary. If the dough is too moist, set it in the fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes before you roll it.
Sugar in any form isn’t high on the “healthy” list. But sweet treats made with quality ingredients and enjoyed in moderation can add a smile to your day without thwarting your health-supportive intentions. If I make dessert, I like to opt for natural sweeteners as much as I can. This helps avoid the rapid rise and fall of blood sugar levels, which can lead to mood swings and fatigue.
We all rejoiced when we discovered that chocolate contains antioxidants and brain-boosting neurotransmitters! But remember, quality is everything. I buy organic chocolate that’s free from chemicals and preservatives, such as Alter Eco and Green and Black’s 85 percent bars. For allergy-free baking, Enjoy Life chocolate chips are my go-to.