Strawberries are irresistible when they’re at their sweetest, the first exciting fruit to blaze into the markets after a long winter. Pump them up a notch—blend them with gut-healing kefir, goji berries, and other delicious superfoods—this makes the perfect smoothie that can double as a nourishing, antioxidant-rich breakfast or refreshing treat on a warm day. The key is to add sustaining healthy fats like coconut butter and chia seeds.
For those who are already fans of yogurt, kefir is the new frontier for the unacquainted. Kefir is a natural cultured dairy product. In particular, goat’s milk kefir is a super-nutritious choice that is easy to digest and, unlike cow’s milk, isn’t allergy- or mucus-forming. Kefir is full of live probiotics that may help regulate the balance of healthy bacteria in your gut, promoting overall health, from balancing weight to extracting the most nutrients from foods. As for the strawberry tops, there’s no need to cut them off if they’re organic—like any other leafy green, those greens are full of vitamins and minerals!
Strawberry-Goji Kefir Smoothie
1 cup goat’s milk kefir
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 cups fresh strawberries (no need to cut off tops)
1 ripe banana
2 tablespoons goji berries
2 tablespoon coconut butter (can use oil instead)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
Optional topping: bee pollen
- Place all ingredients in a blender in the order listed.
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Summertime Cherry Almond Smoothie. Replace strawberries with fresh pitted cherries. Replace coconut butter with almond butter. Add ½ teaspoon almond extract.
- Super Green Smoothie. Add 1 large handful of dark leafy greens to the blender, such as spinach or kale. If desired, add 2 teaspoons of chlorophyll-rich supplement, such as chlorella or spirulina.
- Low Sugar Smoothie. Instead of the banana, add avocado.
For best blending, add liquid ingredients to the blender before solids. This helps keep the solids from getting stuck in the blades.
Goji berries and kefir are available in specialty food stores and grocery stores with large health-food sections like Whole Foods. You can also order goji berries online at sites like Amazon and Sunburst Superfood.
- Kefir contains beneficial strains of bacteria that potentially boost immunity, contribute to healthier gut flora, stabilize weight, and help us increase the amount of nutrients we’re able to extract from healthy foods.
- Strawberries may be common, but they are a potent anti-aging, anti-inflammatory superfood. They’ve been ranked the third most antioxidant-rich fruit by researchers, taking into account a reasonable serving size.
- Goji berries are a rich source of zeaxanthin, which has been linked to improved vision and decreased likelihood for cataracts. They’re consumed in China to increase vitality and decelerate aging.
Healthwise, it’s best to use fresh instead of frozen fruit for smoothies. Drinking extremely cold smoothies is a shock to the digestive system. In traditional Chinese medicine, cold foods are said to dampen the digestive “fire,” making it harder to extract nutrients from food. An extra tip: Chewing your smoothies sounds strange, but because carbohydrate digestion begins in the mouth, swishing the drink around in your mouth before swallowing lets enzymes process the sugars before they reach your stomach; this helps assist digestion and may reduce bloating that people experience after eating raw fruits.